While This blog is about cold weather photography I’m going to step aside a bit and stretch it a bit and talk about a project I’m quite proud of and the workflow that went into it. I recently worked with the UAF Hockey team and made a video soundslide of what it takes to get the team to the ice. The practice, the workouts, and everything leading up to the puck drop. Technically this isn’t about cold weather photography, but it is photography, and hockey is played on ice, so stick with me.
First I had the idea, I wrote it out and emailed it to Wylie Rogers, former goalkeeper of the Nanooks, who is currently working with the Nooks as a volunteer coach. Wylie and I used to live in the same dorms together and are good buddies. This is lesson one: Don’t be afraid to use contacts you have made in journalism and photography work. If any one of my former classmates, or diehard blog followers emails me asking for help, I’ll do what I can. Network, it can make or break a project and made this project 100%. Wylie was able to get me a meeting with the people to get the proper permissions to do this project. This kind of access usually isn’t allowed and I had to make it clear that I was here to show the team in the best light and stay out of their way as much as possible too.
I got the permissions, they said it’ll work and after showing some of my past work, were excited to see what I could. Next step was the actual shooting. I knew that I had limited time to capture the emotions and events and decided to carry two cameras at all times. The first was a Canon T2i with an extra battery grip, the second was a Canon 7D. I switched between 3 lens the entire time, a 10mm-22mm Wide angle, a 17-40mm and a 70-200mm Lens. I was also doing all the recording and took this chance to use a small digital recorder with a lav mic hooked up directly onto one of the players during practice. I also used a Merantz recorder for most of my ambient audio.
I shot at one practice on that Thursday, Friday mornings skate, then the warm up and start of the game that night. These three sessions netted me over 500 photos as well as over 2 hours of audio. I’m a bit ashamed I went so shutter happy, but don’t regret it one bit. I knew I had a tight deadline and as the practices went on I concentrated on getting better versions of the photos I knew I needed for the story to be told.
Editing was pretty straight forward. I started with my audio, knowing what I wanted as the end, and what I wanted to star with I worked from the ends towards the middle, making it 3:38 long. I then started filling in with photos, editing them, cropping where needed and picking through to get the most telling pictures. I know some are technically weaker than others, but I feel that they are needed to tell the complete story that I felt needed to be told.
After all the editing it was simply finishing it up, getting it online and getting it picked up by the UAF student newspaper, The SunStar. The link is here to the story, and the actual video is embedded.
Once again, like always, let me know what you think in the comments and I hope you enjoyed watching and reading this as much as I enjoy writing and making it!
This is video soundslide that came from all the hard work.